Secrets to Facilitating Strategy
Learn the key techniques for leading a group through the strategic planning process!
This course provides a detailed understanding of each of the building blocks that make up a strategic plan and strategies for facilitating teams through the strategic planning process. A PDI (practical, dynamic and interactive) approach provides practical step-by-step direction including a road map for constructing a strategic plan for your organization and tips for judging the quality of each component of your plan, dynamic instruction from carefully selected energetic facilitators, and interactive practice sessions including in-class exercises and team breakout sessions to reinforce your learning.
Download the course description
Who will benefit from this course?
Professional facilitators, organizational leaders, and representatives of all types of for profit/non profit organizations and government agencies seeking to develop viable action plans for accomplishing growth objectives or improving current processes.
What you will learn
- Provide a clear picture of the key components of a strategic plan and the steps in the strategic planning process
- Provide guidelines for developing a strategic plan and evaluating its quality
- Review the techniques for facilitating a team through the strategic planning process
- Identifying the key tips and pitfalls to avoid
- Provide practice opportunities to employ the techniques
Part I – 1- 2 hours to learn the strategy model
Part II – Three Days
Part I: Learn Effective Strategic Planning
Since there is a considerable amount of content involved in the strategy model and our focus will be on the facilitation, we require participants prior to coming to class to become knowledgeable in the strategy model by doing the following:
- Review the strategy model content (this will be provided upon registration via email).
- Take the certifying test and return it to Leadership Strategies for scoring using this email address. You must score a minimum of 70% on the certifying test. You may take the certifying test as often as you would like, but it is essential that you score 70% or above at least 24 hours prior to the class.
Note: Students unable to complete the pre-work 24 hours prior to class will likely be required to reschedule for another class date.
If you have questions about the pre-work, please contact our office at 770.454.1440.
Part II: Facilitating Strategy Sessions
In this segment, you’ll join the other participants for a three-day session focused on strategies for facilitating teams through strategic planning. Techniques from The Effective Facilitator serve as the building blocks for the day.
Therefore, taking this course in advance is helpful, but not required. Using a detailed facilitator’s guide, you and your classmates will facilitate a fictitious company, “The Light Touch Company,” through the development of a three-year strategic plan. Through the various role plays, you will have opportunities to…
- See the various components of the strategy model facilitated live.
- Use the detailed facilitator guide to assess your skills in facilitating
- Understand the issues that typically arise in facilitating strategy.
- Share your experiences and learn from the experiences of others in facilitating strategic planning.